- Your lame friends mom
- “Vajeen is like sleeve of wizard”
- Your sisters weird friend who you sorta wanted to hook up with but are glad you didn’t
- Your sisters sorority sister who everyone hated but has 10x the Instagram followers they do
- Cathy from HR that everyone hates
- Your sisters kinda hot friend who you also wanted to hook up with but now you are SUPER glad you didn’t
- An evil witch?
- Someone please euthanize that poor creature and also help the bird
- Your moms bridge group
- Your sisters former friend who went weirdo goth after buying ONE The Cure album
- My aunt and uncle, probably
I have this theory: because capitalism, every corporation eventually ends up at banal evil.
Here’s a good example of where we are these days:
Moore is lying; he is “bearing false witness”. For a guy who claims to be pretty much the second coming, you’d think he’d maybe know that lying is bad?
Except, it’s not. I think modern American Christians have rewritten the 10 Commandments into something like this:
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me, excepting money and power
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, unless granted to you by money or power
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, or at least try most of the time
- Remember to keep the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy, except for pro football and other leisure activities
- Honor thy father and thy mother
- Thou shalt not kill unless it’s a black kid, or maybe someone who angered you, and also it’s totally OK to have vivid murder fantasies about your neighbors
- Thou shalt not steal except through legislative or legal loopholes
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor unless it impairs your pursuit of money, power, or leisure, or something you want; and if you convince yourself it’s true then it’s not false witness
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife, unless thou dost have the scratch for a settlement
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors servants/animals/anything else, because wow go get your own, jeeze
About the only one not broadly re-interpreted in the fun world of late-stage capitalism and the era of Donald Trump is #5. Good job, team!
So many people had an experience like this. Twitter was fun, fast, easy to use; and brevity is the soul of wit. If you were a programmer, you’d often learn a new platform or language by writing a simple Twitter client; and tons of really smart people were writing interesting software that took advantage of all the new toys in our toy box, with Twitter as the base.
It got even better, for a while. Twitter replaced RSS, for many; a scan of your feed let you know where your friends were, what important software updates were released, and everything else you could want.
Yeah, there was the Fail Whale and porno bots but it wasn’t any worse than we’d seen already. And we had the Arab Spring! People got work by telling jokes on Twitter. We had Weird Twitter and Scottish Twitter and …
But then came GamerGate, followed shortly by their brothers in arms the Alt-Right, and Russian trolls, and now the dullard in the Oval Office.
The solution is already there. RSS is still good, and usable. You can support independent media, like many good podcasts, instead of supporting a company that thinks that giving more characters for racist bile is the solution.
Everyone bitches and moans about walled gardens and “closed platforms” and “you are not the customer, you’re the product”. So take the air out of their sails. Stop “microblogging” and write real thoughts. Read long-form journalism. The internet has given us the tools. Use them.
This image is pretty popular:
But here’s the thing: those are all just facets of the same person.
I have yet to meet a single “libertarian” who votes anything other than straight-party Republican. Not once. They even do this neat trick where they claim “but I do vote for libertarians”, and point to a Republican who self-identifies Libertarian; but recursively that person always votes Republican.
This election cycle we at least got a few Republicans voting Libertarian as a protest, and a few who will loudly and proudly proclaim their support for ol’ stoned-what’s-his-name as proof of their bona fides, but for the most part … Libertarians don’t exist.